Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Part 2: Black History Month = Yoruba History Month

*Many thanks to Prof. Ayanwale for this week's submission of a"Yoruba History month" quiz. Ko ni tan ni be o. And congratutions to Mrs Alabi and all the other correct entrants for the last quiz. Enjoy solving this one.

Sooooo, Once again, Identify me by my name.... 


WHO AM I?
by
Prof. Lekan Ayanwale.

I am an Egba woman that studied in England. When I returned to Nigeria, I settled in Abeokuta with my husband who composed the “national anthem” entitled “Lori oke ati petele” for the Egbas.

Abeokuta was an Independent “state-country” within a country long before Nigerian Independence. And because I cannot stand injustice of the rulers over the ruled, I organized women folks especially traders and market women into pressure groups that demanded our rights.

First, our protest led to the building of maternity wards in our hospitals.

Second, my group succeeded in the exclusion of women from paying of undue market levies and taxes.

Third, I led another protest against the unpopular reign of the Alake of Abeokuta, Oba Ademola II. This particular protest resulted in his removal from office and his Ake palace. He was banished from Abeokuta and sent to Oshogbo where he spent some long time to atone for his bad reigns. He apologized to the Egba people and was pardoned by the governor before he was allowed to return to his palace.

My spirit to fight injustice led me to confront the illegitimate military governance of Nigeria by its armed forces. For this, because many Nigerians are timid or afraid of guns and therefore did not join me, I was man-handled by the military and punished for my bravery. The military caused me serious injuries when a contingent was sent to attack me in my house. The ordeals eventually led to my death.

My only joy is that all my four children, my loving 3 boys and a girl as well of my grand children have taken after me. They will continue to fight injustice any where it surfaces and the spirit will continue fighting until Nigeria rulers change their ways for better.

Who am I?

*The 1st correct response wins a prize to be given at this weekend's meeting in Birmingham.


Funke Abolade, M.D.

Social/publicity Secretary

9 comments:

  1. MRS OLUFUNMILAYO RANSOME-KUTI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its Fela's mother Mrs Ransome Kuti. Fela sang about the military in Nigeria killing his mother...

    Tunde Abolade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I third Ms. Adagunodo and Mr. Abolade and offer Mr. Funmilayo Kuti. That last clue, the events leading to her death, was the key for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer is Mrs.Ransome-Kuti. The great mother of the late Fela Anikilapo-Kuti.

    Simons Latunde Addey

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lady described by Ayanwale is/was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti.

    Adenrele Odutola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Olufinmilayo Kuti. Obinrin ju obinrin lo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm awaiting confirmation of the identity of this civic heroine from the author of this quiz, prof Ayanwale. Once I get it, the winner will be confirmed....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The answer is definitely Mrs Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti . The Egbas are proud of the first Nigerian woman to drive a car and ride a bike. Of course her husband was well known for his musical talent. He taught my dad in grammar school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Mrs Adagunodo for the first correct response. The civic heroine really is Mrs Funmilayo Ransome Kuti. Kudos to all for guessing right yoruba hero. Enjoy your prize, ma'm! More yoruba heroes next week.... Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - Leave a message!