Friday, February 1, 2013

Black History =Yoruba History Month, Part I, 2013.

It's baaaaack!

February is amongst other things, Black History month or as we like to translate it here: Yoruba History month! Just as we had last year, all month long, there will be fun mini history quizes with prizes for winners as usual. So here goes...
Who am I?

I am a pre-colonial Yoruba woman who eventually saved Ile-Ife from its' invading neighbors. A princess by marriage, I allowed myself to be captured as a slave by the invading Igbo & went underground to learn the secret to their fierce & fearful un-human like appearances  - they covered themselves, from head to toe, with dried grass and bamboo fibres -
which led to their success at  invading Ile Ife, repeatedly taking my people as slaves. 



I learnt the simple trick : 

Dried grass + bamboo fibres + fire = Defeat! Then I went back and helped my people use this knowledge to defeat the marauding invaders. 
I paid a heavy price for this victory, 
a son, given to the spirit of the river, Esimirin. 
What is my name?



Bonus prize if you also know my son's name.
Answers in the comment section below pls.



F. Abolade, M.D.

3 comments:

  1. MOREMI AJANSORO,HER SON IS OLUOROGBO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs Adagunodo. Moremi (ajasoro oloko agemo abeje pompo) Oluorogbo - ela is the son.

    dr adediji

    ReplyDelete
  3. E seun o. You win again Mrs A! Your gift awaits you at the Birmingham meeting.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - Leave a message!