Friday, February 22, 2013

Black History = Yoruba history part IV, 2013.


Who am I?

Black History = Yoruba History unless of course it really is about African American History! 

Were it not for a few twists and turns of history that brought her ancestors here unto slavery, this next iconic woman could have been my sister, or my aunt. Or my cousin. Or my neighbour.

This is the story of a little black girl born in the city of Decatur, Alabama to a carpenter and a school teacher who grew up to be a Stanford and Cornell graduate, a chemical engineer, a Physician, a Peace Corp volunteer to West Africa and oh yes, the first African American female to blast off into space on the Endeavour. 

Enough said. 

Kare o ja're. Omo Balogun. Akinkanju Obirin bi okunrin.

Omo onile ma a w'ole, ma a r'ora.

We claim you as one of ours, a native daughter of the soil. We celebrate you. 

But what is my name? Comments below pls.

F. A

2 comments:

Go on - Leave a message!